SOLAS II-2 Part G, Regulation 18 Paragraph 1.4 states that ships fitted with helicopter facilities shall provide training for the crew.
For yachts that do not have the in-house expertise to conduct their own training, The Squadron offers a 2-day onboard Helideck Team training package.
The first day of training is conducted without the requirement of a helicopter, and consists of a classroom workshop followed by some practical drills on the helideck. The second day will ideally have a helicopter to land on the helideck, as this gives the crew exposure to the actual operation and allows more realistic drills to be performed. However, in cases when it is not practicable for a helicopter to be provided for the training, the second day will still further develop the skills and emergency response techniques of the crew. At the end of the second day the instructors conduct an assessment of the helideck team and the competencies they have learnt.
No previous experience of helicopter operations is required, but we do expect all of the crew to have valid STCW 95 Basic Training qualifications.
To get the greatest value from the training we encourage the yacht to make as many of the crew available to take part in the drills as possible, and not restrict it to just the Helideck Team.
“Completion of Training” certificates are awarded to trainees that have attended all modules of the training and pass the final assessment. The end result is a competent and confident team that offers the best service to the owners and their guests.
Who would this be suitable for?
- All yachts with a helideck
- Suitable as additional elective training for yacht helideck teams that have undergone OPITO commercial level training
What is normally involved?
- Lead instructor selected to liaise with client
- Discussion to understand type of operations conducted and review yacht’s helideck facilities
- On-site instruction over 2 full days by two instructors
- Instruction includes classroom element, practical demonstrations and practical exercises and assessment for the helideck team
- Can be combined with Helicopter Pilot Deck Landing Training
- Clients must provide the yacht and helicopter for the training
- Trainees completing the training to a satisfactory standard receive a “Completion of Training” certificate